Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Gobi March 2010


Back in 2007 during the JFK 50 in Maryland I ended up running next to a girl who had some unusual patches on her sleeve.  When I asked her about them she told me they were from a multi-day race she had done in the Gobi Desert that year.  I didn’t stay with her long but when I got home I looked up the race and was intrigued.  I previously had no idea that there were running stage races and certainly thought that no one in their right mind would run with a weeks’ worth of food on their backs.  Turns out the Tour de France is not the only stage race out there and that, in fact, no one in their right mind would run with a weeks’ worth of food on their back.
The race is set up more as a survivalist adventure race than a typical ultra-marathon.  It’s roughly 150 miles in total with 6 stages over 7 days.  You are responsible for carrying all your gear for the week with the exception of a tent and water.  You do have to have the capacity to carry 2 liters of water on you when you leave the checkpoints, which are spaced about 6 to 10 miles apart, due to temperatures that this year were expected to reach the 120’s.  Most competitors had a bag full of freeze-dried meals and ramen noodles.  Throw in a sleeping pad, sleeping bag, first aid kit, extra socks and a few luxury items like soap or food you actually like to eat and most packs came out to be around 20 to 25 lbs.  The heaviest I heard of was something over 40lbs from someone who carried canned food.  The lightest was less than 10 pounds from the Chinese competitors who were cheating and getting food and supplies from the Chinese media who were following the race.  My pack checked in at about 25 or 26 pounds (the measurements were in kilograms and they weren’t exact) but it felt like it was closer to 50 on the first day.
About 160 of us met at the Yin Du Hotel in Urumqi, China, home of the hardest beds ever to grace a 5 star hotel.  (They were so hard I seriously considered getting out the sleeping pad I was carrying for the race.)  Despite the lousy beds, the morning of June 26th saw us all boarding buses to head out to the first camp.  Everyone was nervous but spirits were high.  The first camp was in a little village near the Tien Shan mountains.  The scenery was fantastic and despite my worst fears the temperature was actually really cool, probably down into the 50’s that night.  The next morning we broke camp and headed out for what we were told would be an easy 20 miles with some rolling hills in the last half.  They neglected to mention that we were starting out at around 7000 feet and would be getting to over 9000 along the course.  They also neglected to mention that by rolling hills they meant impossibly steep cliffs covered with spiky plants that pretty much everyone got to experience up close.  (In case you haven’t noticed “they” are evil liars.)  None the less, the day started out with an easy 6 miles on a rough road with beautiful mountains on either side and some sonic booms thanks to the Chinese air force to keep it interesting.  After the first checkpoint there were some more flats along a stream with lots of grazing cows who stared at us like we were crazy (maybe I’m just remembering it that way now).  Immediately upon leaving the second checkpoint we went up the steepest hill I’ve ever gone up without using a rope.  It was pretty demoralizing because we’d get to the top of these impossibly steep hills only to see the flags we were following leading down an equally steep hill and then back up another one.  The hills flattened out a bit after a while, but got a lot longer--and just to top it off, we were at around 9000 feet at this point.  But thanks to all the hills being covered with heather (along with the stinging nettles) the whole second half of the stage smelled wonderful—though this wasn’t enough to brighten my mood.  I had slept very badly the first night in camp and then between the altitude, the much-harder-than-expected terrain and the pain in my shoulders from the backpack I was not having a good day.  I was really having doubts about my ability to finish this race if I was in for 3 more days like this one, followed by a 62-mile stage 5.  After 5 and a half hours I finally made it to the second camp where I immediately set about eating as much food as I possibly could because my shoulders hurt and I desperately needed to lighten my pack.  I threw down as much freeze dried food as I could stomach, commiserated with my tent mates and other competitors for a while and then it was time for bed.  Thankfully I had thought to bring some Advil PM with me and none of my tent mates wanted to stay up late so by 9 PM I was blissfully sleeping off the first day’s torture.
Despite a really cold night I slept great and was feeling much better about stage 2.  I had decided that my race plan needed some major revising so I planned to walk all of the stage.  We started off on more of the hills we had finished on the day before so not running wasn’t much of a difficulty.  That lasted for about 7 or 8 miles until we got to a little village that consisted of several mud brick houses and nothing else.  After that checkpoint we made our way along some flat trails to a mostly dry riverbed.  It looked like it might have at one point been a really big river but was now just a stream.  We crossed the riverbed and up the other side to a road which we followed to the second checkpoint.  At the second checkpoint they said it would be about 10K to the end and camp.  That would be the only time all week they underestimated a distance.  And so I quickly found myself back at camp and preparing some more freeze-dried food.  Unfortunately this was where the freeze-dried stuff started getting hard to eat.  Either because of the GI issues I was developing or because I was already sick of them I had a lot of trouble forcing down my dinner that evening.  But I was in much better spirits at this point, despite the still-painful shoulders and the developing GI issues.
The Uighur house we stayed in.
Stage 3 had us back in the riverbed for an ankle spraining 6 miles of water crossings and even some actual trees.  After checkpoint 1 we were on the road again for another 10K and I decided that since I had finally found a pack adjustment that didn’t hurt, it was time to try running again.  It’s amazing how much quicker the miles go when you’re running as opposed to walking.  And seeing as I had trained for this race by running it felt pretty good to get out there and jog.  After the second checkpoint we were up onto some actual rolling hills of very loose dirt which went up until the middle of the stage and was downhill for the last part.  The camp after stage 3 was in a Uighur (pronounced “wee-ger”) village where we stayed in people’s homes.  I was still on the floor on my camping gear, but it was something different.  This camp had a nice cool stream next to it where everyone got to clean up a bit and ice down their feet.  My tent mate, Denvy Lo from Hong Kong (who actually ended up being the first woman to finish despite never having run even a marathon before), spent pretty much the entire afternoon there.  We were told that we would have to be up well before dawn the next morning (3AM) so I ate some freeze-dried shepherd’s pie, which felt like I had swallowed a bowling ball, and then it was off to bed by 8.  Unfortunately sleeping in the village was not better than the tents--I had flies buzzing around my head and it never really cooled down.  Then at around 9 or 10 the townspeople started coming out (they wisely stayed indoors and out of the sun when it was hot during the day then came out when it was cool… the exact opposite of what we did) and making lots of noise.  Needless to say 3AM came a lot sooner than I would have liked.  But come it did, so we got up, boarded the buses and headed out for the start of stage 4.
Stage 4 started at 6 AM and temperatures were forecast to be well over 100 by midday.  With that in mind I tried to run as much as I could before it got hot and thankfully the course accommodated me.  The first 10K was on a road so I was able to run that at a decent pace (about 9:30 miles).  After checkpoint 1 I was still able to keep up a good pace until I had to stop and take care of my first blister.  Once that was taken care of I motored along until I got to some very steep hills of loose sand.  After that it was slow going to the second checkpoint.  From checkpoint 2 to the finish was about 11K, or so we were told.  It sure seemed like it was longer than that but it’s possible that’s because so much of the time was spent in a boiling hot box canyon that claimed quite a few racers.  Several people climbed into any shade they could find to rest and one dropped from heat stroke.  Thankfully I was able to get through all that and finish before noon so I missed the real heat of the day.  Six hours after starting I found myself at a strange tourist attraction at the base of the Flaming Mountain where we would be camping.  Many people slept in a museum but the bulk of us camped outside because it was really hot indoors.  Before we got to sleep though it was an anxious afternoon of waiting for the last of the competitors to finish.  Several of the volunteers and medical staff had to hike up the mountain to bring water the people who were stuck there and suffering.  Nick, the competitor who had heat stroke, had to be taken out on a camel because there was no vehicle access (sadly, he died from complications a couple days after arriving at the Urumqi hospital).  At the end of the day there were quite a few people who dropped out but most made it in safely.  Thankfully it was a great night sleeping outside, probably the most comfortable night of the entire race—and it was a good thing too, because the next stage was 62 miles in what was forecast to be 120 degree heat.
We were told that stage 5 would start at 6 AM so everyone was up bright and early only to be told that it would really start at 8 AM.  So after an extra hour of sleep I was up and ready to get started.  I had lightened my pack as much as I possibly could and after what happened the previous day I planned to take it really easy because all I cared about was finishing, no matter how long it took me.  We started off with a few river crossings, because nothing makes 62 miles easier to cover on foot than wet shoes and socks.  I took some time at the first checkpoint to change my socks and clean out my shoes before setting out for a long walk through a nice little town.  The great part about the town was that pretty much every kid (and there were a lot of kids) had learned to say “hello” in English.  So we walked for about 4 or 5 miles through this town, pelted from all sides by repeated hellos from half-naked children.  At the second checkpoint I picked up Sam, a Brit living in Hong Kong who is one of the organizers of the race and who would be my companion for the remainder of that very long day.  Mercifully the weather went easy on us and we had cloud cover for most of the day.  If it hadn’t been for that I can’t imagine what it would have been like for the 30 or so miles after checkpoint 2.  There is really no way to describe how desolate salt flats are.  It was just endless miles of nothing but the occasional scrubby bush and  little pools of water so salty that they actually had huge salt crystals growing in them.  The only wildlife we saw was a monstrous camel spider.  It was seriously about 8 inches long and its body was as big as a cell phone.  Camel  spiders are also really aggressive so it kept coming after me and I kept jumping up and down in what I will call an attempt to scare it away but what was in fact just sheer terror.  I’m so glad I didn’t see that anywhere near my tent or sleeping bag.
So we walked, and walked some more.  And then we kept walking.  Eventually Sam and I picked up Colin, another Brit (but one who actually lived in England, unlike most of the Brits in the race).  And Sam, Colin and I walked.  We just kept going checkpoint to checkpoint.  Between checkpoint 5 and 6 the sun came out and it got really hot which caused my feet to start really blistering.  At checkpoint 6 we stopped for a while so that Colin and I could get our blisters taken care of.  Lots of other people had stopped there as well, including many of the people who were leading the race.  When we got there they were lying down getting IV fluids.  We left checkpoint 6 just as the sun was setting in a most spectacular fashion and made our way to checkpoint 7 where there was hot water for us to make dinner with.  When I say that we left checkpoint 6 as the sun was setting, it may sound like it was about 8 in the evening… but not quite.  It was actually about a quarter ‘til 11 at that point, so we didn’t get to checkpoint 7 and “dinner” until about 1 in the morning.  I tried to sleep a bit at that point but made the mistake of lying down next to the medical tent where a couple of people who had been getting IVs at the previous checkpoint were again receiving medical attention.  The dry heaving and incoherent babbling made it impossible to sleep.  So at about 3:30 I woke up Sam and Colin and we got back on the road around 4.  At this point there was almost no talking; we just kept walking down a long road and through some grapevines to the final checkpoint before the finish.  There I was finally able to lie down and sleep for about 10 minutes, which made a world of difference—between those last two checkpoints I could have walked in front of a bus I was so out of it.  But after that little bit of sleep I felt a lot better mentally.  My feet still hurt more than they have ever hurt in my life.  They felt like I had been on them for 24 hours straight… because I had.  I was determined though, and we had another 10K to go, of which about 5K was on sand dunes.  So off we went.  Unfortunately at this point we were very near a town and many of the town’s children had come by and taken the flags we had been following so we didn’t really know where to go.  According to the race organizers they had marked that section of the course about a dozen times but despite that almost everyone who went through had trouble finding the way.  Right before we got to the sand dunes we found someone who was in the process of marking the course again and he explained in great and accurate detail exactly where and how far we were going.  I wanted to hug him for finally giving me some accurate information.  Unfortunately what he said was to go over the sand dunes.  Now, sand dunes are really pretty… if you haven’t just walked 59 miles and have to cross them to get to the finish.  But we had and we did, so the sand dunes were torture--it’s impossible to get footing and it’s also impossible to keep the sand out of your shoes unless you have proper gaiters… which I didn’t.  By the time we made it to camp I was exhausted, hungry, and my feet were screaming at me, but I had made it through and essentially finished the race. 
The rest day was not at all restful.  I finished stage 5 at 10 AM the day after I started and it was already getting pretty hot in camp.  I tried to sleep a bit but woke up sweating like crazy and hyperventilating so I got up and sat around for the rest of the day trying to drink as much water as I could, which was torturous because the water was so hot and it was so hot outside—we’d finally gotten the 120 degree temps we were promised.  Another problem with sand dunes besides the footing is the lack of shade.  So I sat with a bunch of other people in the cyber tent which provided shade but no walls to block the breeze so it was the coolest place in camp.  Sadly that only meant it was 110 instead of 120.  Around 6 or 7 it finally started to cool down and I was able to eat some real, though still freeze-dried food.  They even had a birthday cake for the people whose birthdays were during the week.  I wasn’t interested in cake or anything else at that point other than sleep.  So sleep I did.  I guess a lot of people stayed up for a while chatting and taking pictures but after not getting any sleep the night before I was too exhausted to participate. 
My tent mates.
The next morning we got up early so they could bus us to the start again.  It was just a short bus ride this time since they were just taking us to the town where we were going to finish.  The last stage was only about 6K so most of us ran all of it just so we could be done and get to the food and cold drinks.  One thing I’ve learned about China is that they aren’t big on cold drinks so I was horribly disappointed when I was handed a warm Coke at the finish.  The food also left a lot to be desired but as it was not freeze-dried it tasted fantastic.  The beer was slightly cooler than the coke but not by much.  I even went to a local shop and bought some ice cream.  Then we all boarded the buses for the 4 and a half hour drive back to Urumqi where showers and proper toilets were waiting for us.  I’m not sure I’ve even taken such a wonderful shower as the one I took that day after 7 days of sweat and sand and dirt in the desert.  It really makes you appreciate a little thing like being clean.
I’m not sure if this sort of race is really for me.  It was more about how extreme can they make it than just being a long run and I was hoping for something more like just a long run.  Still, I’m glad I did it and really glad I finished.  I would hate to have dropped out and to now feel like I had to try again.  Ultimately, I had the itch to do this race for a few years and now it’s been scratched and I doubt it will come back.  I met a lot of really great people and had a great experience but I think I’m done with deserts.  It was so hot that even when you were resting you couldn’t rest.  Although they are holding a similar race in Nepal next year, and it’s not supposed to be so hot there…

No comments:

Post a Comment